Saturday, December 24, 2005

Santa's Letter

Christmas brings with it the portly figured, the jolly old, the one with the supernatural ability to ascend a chimney with a mere nod of his head, Santa.And with him comes aunty Claus with recipes so delectable, they seem like god's gift to the gastric juices.Yammy! But let Mrs Claus' recipes not make me wander off the subject of the post. So talking about Santa , although this guy is all fun to watch and talk about, i've never been able to come up with a satisfactory theory to support his existence. So when northpole.com shouted that one could write a letter to Santa and he would most definitely get back, i found the entire idea fishy.
Nevertheless, i decided to write the old man the letter and maybe take a stab at pulling his leg too. Following the specified links ,i reached the page from where i could send the letter.Send the letter i could, but not before i answered a few friendly questions.It asked if i've been naughty or nice through the year. Not the one to take chances, i decided that i was nice throughout. The next question, i should say, perplexed me a bit. Did i have a chimney in my house? Now these are times when Mumbai doesnt even have space for a gas-stove.So the chimney was no doubt a difficult proposition. I decided that the exhaust fan in the kitchen was a very good substitute for the chimney and Santa would be logical enough to understand. I checked "yes". Good enough. Next, i had to choose from a variety of toys, the one which i wished the most for Christmas. Not difficult given the options.Stuffed toys and toy trains being some of the choices. I chose cars and trucks. Next step, i had to enter my wishlist. After entering the initial four wishes, i noticed that the list was unfulfillable even by Santa's standards. I mean, even if he could, he would'nt. The four wishes were names of four actresses.(I would have named them . But going by the heavy popularity of this blog, i fear the people concerned might read this too and sue me for their own convenient reasons.) Moving along , i finally reached the " write a special message for Santa" section. I wrote, "Dear Santa, i hope the cars and trucks mentioned above are the real ones and not some stuffed toys. Am just curious how you are gonna come driving the cars and trucks via the chimney. Anyways, take care."
I sent the letter , hoping that my doubts about the old one's existence were wrong and that he came by on Christmas eve (via the chimney or wherever else he wanted to),the fleet of cars and trucks following him.
The letter i sent yesterday and the matter had slowly started to vapourise from my rather humble RAM that a friend of mine mentioned something about Santa today. Flicker-Flicker went the overhead tubelight and next second,i was in front of the PC. Sure enough, i had got a reply from Santa( supposedly him ). The letter went like this:
"
Dear Sujith,

Thank you for writing such a wonderful letter! We have had a great year at the North Pole. The reindeer have been playing reindeer games to get in shape for the long trip Christmas Eve, and the elves have been busy getting my sleigh packed with lots and lots of toys.

Once my sleigh is packed and ready to go, I'll be off on my journey around the world. I'm reading your letter right now, and it looks like you've been a very nice boy this year. That makes me so happy. Keep up the good work!

While you are asleep on Christmas Eve, the reindeer will land my sleigh on your rooftop so I can hop down your chimney.

I see that you like cars and trucks. I like cars and trucks, too. They are lots of fun to play with, and we have some very exciting new cars and trucks this year. The elves have been very busy this year making many new and different cars and trucks for Christmas!

Well, I must get back to my workshop now and help the elves finish up the rest of the Christmas toys. We have to have them ready to go soon--we don't have a minute to lose!

Ho! Ho! Ho! Have a Merry Christmas!

Your Special Friend,
Santa

"

I never thought "Dear Santa.....take care" made a great letter.Oh well.The next few lines seemed to be of little interest to me what with him blabbering about his reindeers and elves and sleighs and toys.He had already made plans to park his reindeer run sleigh on my rooftop and then come hopping down through the chimney. I hoped i could somehow inform him that i dint really have a chimney and he could possibly come down by stairs. The next para was to be the most important for me. But this one , infact, turned out to be the real dampner. The alliteration of "cars and trucks" confirmed my doubts about the fishiness of the entire "send a letter and we'll get back" thing. It was quite obviously a computer generated letter.;-( The spirits touching ground level i read the para once again, now replacing "cars and trucks" with "girls". This once done, the spirits had taken an about turn northwards and i could be seen smiling and beaming at every soul near me, strangers included,a fresh hope of the man in red turning up with all his "goodies" !

Merry Christmas Guys!

5 comments:

Ramya Shankar said...

I'm sure the dampened spirits are soaring back. And hope u did have a "Merry" christmas!!! Another tickler from ya.

Anonymous said...

Nice Idea of writing Keep it up! ur have the X mas article then check out my blog fot the New Year Article

Sue said...

Season's Greetings Sujith. And yes, funny about the blog name. But some time ago I realised it's a fairly common one. Oh well. At least it's a good one. And at least folks do call me 'Sunny' (even though I don't like it, mind you.)

Bubblegum Marxist said...

Hi The Exuberant! i hope you have a great new year. your blog is a nice read, it's so full of sh** (but in a good way) - i like!! :D

Tanmay said...

I see you visited my blog. And i also know why... Read the article where you stated how you go on a random blog checking spree. Nice habit , i do it too.


PS: A little hint , Italian people , NEVER return back a comment.


Also ,

neither do the spanish.

Anyways , i loved your blog , ill be a regular , hope you check mine out too.


Merry Christmas And a happy new year Sujith..



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 India License.