Wednesday, December 14, 2005

At the doc

"Is it paining, Sujith?"
No answer.
"Come on Sujith, tell me is it paining?"
From whatever life that was left of me, I struggled to open my mouth wider than the dentist had already helped it to.
"Yeaah", and nearly fainted.
In between visions of Uranus and Jupiter and the other stars, I saw the letters "k", "u", "f", "c" floating around in the moonlit sky, with the third and the first letter getting disturbingly repetitive by the minute.
"What happened? You seemed to be in a lot of pain." The friendly dentist asked me while washing his hands in the basin.
I tried to smile which I am sure looked more sour than at those times when I had alum cubes mistaking it for lump sugar.
"Actually I dint expect you to inject me there"
He guffawed.
I smiled too, an evil one now.The thoughts on my mind clearly reflecting in my smile.
What if i took one of his injections and stabbed it into his gums, just the way he did, while he was laughing.I'll also have a great excuse not to visit the devil again.But, sadly enough my human instincts took over and so did my wretched worries.
My voice cracked when I asked him, "When is my next appointment?"
"Oh, come over the day after.We can set this permanently next time"
"Will I be injected again there?"
"Its like, I've never seen a longer root canal. It has to be perfectly clean before I start filling it up.And you are bleeding too. So I cant work on it long enough.Maybe just one more time.And then you are through."
The situation which I found myselves in precisely described when to have mixed emotions.The joy of being on a small vacation from hell,the thought of having to come back again and be injected and screwed and bolted again and then get a permanent vacation.The worser situations weighed down on me and I could feel emotions swelling up in my heart as I walked back. The swell gave way to tears when I saw mom.
"He fu....he doesnt know his work ma"
"It happens da.Just one more time and your through.Then you'll be all too fine."
"I have to. Or else the guy is in for some deep trouble."
Mom chuckled and I tried to chuckle too.

The dentist episode happened some months back.I never thought I would have to go through the situation again in my life.
A deep cut on my leg yesterday only helped relive the whole episode again. After dressing up the wound, I told the doc that I found the tape that he had stuck rather inconvenient.Before I looked hither and started to go back thither something happened which made me scream "oucch" and kick the assistant doc.
The guy, the very active guy, had pulled off the tape off my skin and in the process waxed that part of my leg.

3 comments:

Zii said...

dudh nahi piyega toh aise hi hoga.

Ramya Shankar said...

Reminds me of a poem by Ogden Nash that was in my Eng textbook a few years back...!

Num said...

"seeing, i could also see the letters "k", "u", "f", "c" floating around in the moonlit sky, with the third and the first letter getting disturbingly repetitive by the minute."

That was priceless.

Ogden Nash revisited eh.

God save us from dentists
and God save the dentist from
patients in pain!
You really kicked him?!
And now several comments later
*after a first visit too*
I consider the probability that it
might seem unusual..
*ahem*



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 India License.